Humidifiers and Dehumidifiers
Learn about humidifiers and dehumidifiers
Heating and cooling systems also include humidifiers and dehumidifiers. These products allow you to maintain a healthier indoor environment and keep your home at the proper humidity level. Medical experts say that your indoor humidity level should fall between 35 and 55 percent. Make sure your indoor environment stays healthy by learning more about furnace humidifiers and dehumidifiers.
Choosing a Humidifier
Types of humidifiers include:
- Drum and sponge units. These units consist of a simple sponge fixed to a rotating wheel which dips into a reservoir of water, then goes through the duct work of your home, adding humidity to rooms.
- Flow-through humidifiers. These humidifiers hook up to a nearby floor drain and allow a steady stream of water to drip through a screen. Air then blows through the screen and delivers humidity to your home.
- Rotary disc humidifier. A rotary disc humidifier incorporates a wheel assembly with textured plastic discs that rotate through a reservoir of water. This is similar to a drum humidifier.
Choosing the right humidifier depends on your furnace. Consult an HVAC specialist to choose the best humidifier for you and advise you on proper installation. You can try to install a humidifier yourself, but this is not always recommended, as mistakes can be made and you will spend more on repair than installation from a professional.
Choosing a Furnace Dehumidifier
Types of dehumidifiers include:
- Portable dehumidifiers. These dehumidifiers allow you to move the unit to the area of your home that needs the most help. Basements tend to be very damp, so most people put their dehumidifiers there to stop mold from growing.
- Whole-house dehumidifiers. These are installed in your HVAC system and prevent moisture issues throughout your home. They must be correctly sized to your furnace to work properly.
If you're looking to buy a humidifier or dehumidifier for your furnace, many leading furnace brands include Honeywell furnace humidifiers and Desert Spring furnace humidifiers with their products. Buying OEM parts will help your furnace run well and prevent problems down the road.
Keep your home free from mold and healthy by buying a humidifier or dehumidifier. Along with furnace filters, these products help your home stay free of allergens and dust while ensuring the air is moist enough for you to breathe.